Weekly Figure Drawing & Painting with Jay
Weekly Figure Drawing & Painting with Jay
Figure Drawing Only
Artist and Instructor: Jay Blums
Monday 1- 4pm
NEW WINTER: Beginning January Class Options:
6 weeks or 12 weeks options;
• Monday's 1 - 4pm $450
• Friday's 1 - 4pm $450
* Option #2 Both Monday & Friday 6 weeks $900
• Option #4 Both Monday & Friday 12 weeks $1800
Beginners Welcomed - In his figure workshops, Jay will be presenting a system that will develop the student's ability to draw the human figure with accuracy and force. Once the fundamentals are learned you will move into painting the figure in long pose
*** Learning the drawing skills in graphite first is essential we don't just begin in paint, but once you have mastered the method you will move on to painting the figure in oil.
*This is an instructed class Please Note* $450.00 Registration is required to ensure your spot for the 6 week block and covers instruction and model fees. *** Tipping the model is not expected but a small amount if you wish is appreciated at the end of your 6 or 12 weeks. ( see Materials list below)
In this class students will learn fundamental techniques for successfully portraying the human figure, from the use of gesture to quickly and accurately capture the essence of any pose, to a system of comparative measurement for establishing correct and believable proportion. These are essential foundations to which further development of both detail and tonal values can bring about a convincing sense of form.
• Designed to strengthen one's speed, and ability to focus on the essentials
• Longer sittings will allow more time to build upon a solid structure
• Regular demonstrations
• One-on-one critiques, small class size
• Students to be taught according to their own individual level of skill and experience
• On-going students can enroll anytime for either Monday or Friday, or both (also see our Atelier Program offered full days)
° 6 session blocks holds your space and is consecutive sessions.
• Students, Please let us know in advance that you are coming in so you are ensured a spot. No drop ins please. email info@russianriveratelier
- Strathmore 400 Series Drawing Paper Pad - 80 lB 19" x 24"
- Graphite Pencils 2B, HB, 2H - 3 of each along with a small utility knife for sharpening and a sanding block (for creating a sharp point)
- Small Mirror*
- Blending Sticks
- Plumb line*
- 3mm Knitting needle for measuring
Please email Jay or info@russianriveratelier with any questions.
Jay is a graduate of the illustration program at Sheridan College in Ontario, Canada, Jay worked as an architect’s assistant before he began his studies with John Michael Angel in Toronto, Canada. Moving to Florence in 2005 as an instructor, and continuing his study of traditional painting methods at the Angel Academy of Art in Italy, Jay remained as a full-time painting and drawing instructor for many years after he graduated. He currently resides in Northern California with his talented wife, artist Naomi Marino, and their beautiful daughter. His main focus is on still-life painting as well as teaching figure and old master copy painting at the Russian River Atelier, Santa Rosa.
***Classroom conduct; We try to accommodate all students request. Once booked and paid your station is yours for the 6 weeks. All students are a welcomed guest our atelier and we ask that you respect both teachers and fellow students as we ask all our teachers to do the same. Everyone is there to learn, grow and enjoy his/her experience and we encourage everyone to help us keep to a warm and friendly atmosphere. We reserve the right to ask a student to leave if he/she becomes disruptive to the other students or teachers.
If you have a complaint of any kind please speak with your instructor privately and in a respectful manner. We all at the Russian River Atelier will respect our students wishes and try everything to help each individual to succeed.
No refunds will be given once a class has begun but we do try to accommodate emergency situations so please just ask if you are having to re-shedule we are here to help in anyway we can.
Please Note: This Class is not refundable.